18 Jun 2003
posted in daily
Have you noticed that Virex's eUpdate function reports the May 12, 2003 definitions are the latest available ? Accordingly, that the one you find on .Mac in the Virex section. But since those are over a month old, Virex keeps notifying you that they might be out-of-date ..
So what's up with .Mac ? After all, isn't it for not having to worry about matters like theses that we pay a subscription ? (thumb down Apple). A workaround is to configure Virex to download the definition updates from MacAfee instead of .Mac. I found the following solution on .Mac's Virex discussion board.
- Launch Virex.
- Under "Virex 7.2" menu, select "Preferences..."
- Toward the bottom, under "Virus Updates," click-on the checkbox "Customize my eUpdate server settings"
- Immediately below this and to the right, click the "Server Settings" button which just turned from gray to black.
- A new window named "eUpdate Server Settings" appears.
- For the pop-up menu named "Type" select: FTP
- Fill in the remaining text boxes as follows:
Server URL: ftp.nai.com
Port: leave blank
Password: leave blank
Account: leave blank
- Click OK to enter these settings and close the "eUpdate Server Settings" window.
- You return to the Preferences window where you must Click Ok again.
Previous: My 2 weekend tips (nothing really new)
Next: Le temps des exas