14 Jul 2003
posted in daily
After CandyBar, Panic and Iconfactory have produced another cool application named Pixadex:
Pixadex is to icons, what Apple's iPhoto is to images. Brought to you by Panic and The Iconfactory, the team who created CandyBar, Pixadex lets you import, organize and search huge numbers of icons quickly & easily. Pixadex lets you store all of your icons in a single place, organized into collections that you create. This is the program icon lovers everywhere have been waiting for.
Pixadex is importing my icon collection (over 1500 icons) while I write these lines. It's fast and really looks and feels like iPhoto, and (Oops) unexpectedly quits too (hmm).
Let try again .. well it quit when it reaches 900 or so icons. Lets try little by little, that should do the trick. A bit fastidious.
- The QuickDrop window is really cool: just drop an app or a folder on it and it acquires the selected icon :)
- Don't forget to check the "include subfolders" when importing folders of icons (it doesn't stick)
- I would have liked the Inspector window to show up as a drawer
- It's not always clear what pane is active. The collection or the icons. Cmd-A often selects all the collections instead of all the icons
- I like the icon's contextual menu "Copy icon and mask"
- Nice integration with CandyBar
- Wouldn't mind a trick to get rid of all the generic folder icons..
Previous: Use your USB cam with iChatAV